British Crush | Devonshire Tea

10 January 2015

Ravacholle Lifestyle Blog | Scone recipe

I LOVE the UK, the Queen, the scones, the telly, the tea, the shops, the humour, the different accents, well... you guessed it pretty much everything about the British culture. Hence the title of this series 'British Crush' where I will talk about something that I love about the country and its lifestyle.

Food. Second crush about food... I have so many British Crushes I want to talk about I don't know which one I should start with and in what order...

I stumbled upon scones one day in 2006. I have to say that 2006 was THE year for me. I think I learned everything that year. I was in Australia staying with the most lovely host family and on a sunny afternoon, I was asked if I didn't want to have a "Devonshire tea". What? Did I thought. Did I want to have a cuppa? Oh yes. I need to mention that in 2006 I was in YES mode. Like in the Jim Carrey movie. As a good exchange student I was briefed to reply Yes to every new experience. And that's what I did of course. Tea didn't seem too risky - especially in comparison to the hell I was put through with some water skiing activity later that year.

So there you have it. Me, two parents and the cutest twins on earth in a lovely Aussie garden spreading jam on little cakes. And what cakes! I still remember exactly the taste and the excitement of testing something new that was so awesome!

Ravacholle Lifestyle Blog | Scone recipe
Totally blog worthy photograph of my first scone

What I like the most is the cream! When I came back home I wanted to make my own Devonshire tea but after trying out some random recipe found online I realized it was a serious business that I should not take lightly. Later, I remember having baked some scones for a little Saint-Nicolas dinner I had in my very first student accommodation (kot as we say in French) but I still didn't master it at that time.

Ravacholle Lifestyle Blog | Scone recipe
The exquisite blueberry scone I devoured in Dublin

Then I stumbled upon this recipe and I adore it. Simple, quick, easy. The scones are a bit fluffy, feel light and are heaven with cream and strawberry jam.

Classic scones

Ingredients

250 g. flour
40 g. butter
15 cl. milk
1.5 teaspoon of sugar
15 g. baking powder
a pinch of salt

Method

Preheat the oven at 220°C.
With your hands, mix the flour, baking powder and the cold stick butter cut into small, evenly sized pieces.
Add the sugar, salt and milk. Work until smooth.
Sprinkle flour on your worktop and roll-out the dough 2 cm thick. Cut out approx. 5 or 6 cm diameter circles.
Bake for 12 to 15 min.

Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne