My running rules

9 September 2016


A few weeks ago, I mentioned I was training for a race that will take place on my birthday in October. To prep for the race, I have been following my one and only coach, the Nike+ app.

Not religiously anyway.

Back in 2015, I had plans to run the Brussels 20KM. Having just discovered the Coach feature of the Nike+ app a few weeks before the race, I quickly ended up falling behind schedule. This time, I'm training with the Coach feature again but I've made a few changes to make it work for me.

The Coach feature


I know many professional runners will just laugh at this but I quite like this running program. The plan is divided into 8 weeks (the last week being the week before the race) labeled "warming up", "building a base", "strengthen the muscles", "raise the bar", "test your limits", "go for it" and "peak week". One day of rest is planned in a week along with a mix of short and longer runs combined with cross-training suggestions.

I think the main reason I quit the first time around was that it wasn't flexible at all. Also, it doesn't take into consideration your specific details like weight, running level, agenda, etc.

That's why I would advice you to take it as a suggestion. The plan combines cross-training, walking and rest days and just for that I think it gives you a good idea of what a balanced training program should be.

Now, I just switch things up a little. It's OK if I don't run on Tuesday, I will run on Wednesday. No, I didn't cross train on Monday but I painted a whole room so that counts!


My running rules


1. It's okay to walk

I keep track of my runs with the Nike+ app. I've given other apps a try but I always end up using my favourite. I had a strong idea of how to use it but I was wrong. A lot of the time, I would simply stop running when I was out of breath/completely tired/when I had enough. 

Then I discovered the joys of jogging and walking. When I feel bad/tired/like I want to go home, I just walk for a while and then start jogging again. It's good to go the distance and in the end, I still manage to do a good workout even if it wasn't what I had in mind at the beginning. I didn't run the whole 8km but at least, I moved, spent time outside and had my heart going, that's what counts.

2. Find a running buddy

Since I started running with my friend (who will also be running the race with me), I feel so motivated and good. Our running dates count for double: we play catch up while exercising at the same time, it's a win-win! We see each other despite our busy schedules and it also helps us when we don't really feel like going for a run. One added bonus is that you discover new roads when running in your buddy's hometown.

3. Keep it easy

Running should stay a fun activity. It's also important to find balance and do some other form of exercise that stimulates various parts of your body. Incorporate yoga, cycling, stepper or walking into your routine. I also love going for a swim or do a workout DVD.

Thanks to this little training diary I kept last year, I know cross-training is my main issue. I try to incorporate more walking than last time but still, I sometimes feel it in my body that I just keep on solicitating the same old muscles too much. I should really work on my upper body more.

All photos were taken on a beautiful sunny evening on my favourite running route. Quite pretty, isn't it?

What counts as a workout?


I've recently read a very interesting post about what counts as a workout. I found out that it makes the whole thing easier when you're being sensible and not worry too much about cramming x workouts in a week. 

I am quite a big fan of the balanced approach to every aspect of life in general - even if, let's be honest, I have difficulties to achieve that on a daily basis. Knowing when you have too much on your plate is key to not feeling too guilty about the lack of exercise in your weekly routine. 

Last but not the least, considering that movement is exercise is, in my opinion, an eye opener/the right attitude to an easier and less stressful exercise routine. Read more of what counts as exercise on Wholeheartedly Healthy.

What do you think counts as exercise? Are you a Sunday runner too?

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne