6 Podcasts you need to listen to

29 November 2016

mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iphone 5, Cherry Healey's Letters to my fanny podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen

Sometimes I like to listen to an audiobook whilst driving or commuting and other times I don't listen to anything at all. For a while now, I've been obsessed with podcasts. I had written about my favourite podcasts a long time ago but here is my list of current favourites - in no particular order.

I don't always have the time or the energy to read interesting articles. I'm also not always up to date with who's in the game and who's not. I mean, I'm not always aware of what is actually the book of the year, which comedian is killing it by defending women's rights, what's trending on twitter or what lipstick brand I should buy next month. I like to talk a lot (A. LOT.) and discuss various matters as I have an opinion on practically everything, so obviously, I enjoy conversations. I found that I wasted time on my commute, in the car listening to stupid songs or to ridiculous ads, when I'm ironing my clothes... Enter: podcasts! 

Podcasts are amazing. They're also very motivating: I sometimes tell myself that I'll go for a run and listen to a thirty minute long episode, that way, I'm sure to reach my target! All in all, podcasts make commuting, cooking, showering, walking, running, driving,... not the waste of time that they can be.

mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iphone 5, Woman's Hour podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen

Woman's Hour


Woman's Hour is a BBC Radio 4 program that offers a female perspective on the world and which is presented by Jane Garvey, Jenni Murray and Lauren Laverne. The show has been running for 70 years (!!!) and covers a wide range of topics like politics, health, women issues (obviously), parenting, arts and entertainment, business, ... various of them often fitted into one episode. They also release late nights or weekend specials dedicated to a specific topic such as cosmetic surgery or the concept of home.

Listen | here
Length | between 45 min and 1 hour
Frequency | daily
My favourite episodes | Sexual history in trials & more | Gilmore Girls & more | Us election result: what does it mean for women | The Girl on the Train, Amanda Knox & more | there are so many more brillant episodes, have a look through the archives!

mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iphone 5, Get it down with Dawn O'Porter podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen

Get it on with Dawn O'Porter


Remember when I wrote a book review and I thought the author was someone else? I had mistaken Dawn French with Dawn O'Porter... Well, I know my lesson now. In this podcast, Dawn chats to various guests about what they wear and how they wear it. A podcast about fashion but in a very interesting way. Listening to a few episodes made me realize that I definitely should start enjoy getting dressed up more and that wearing makeup does make me feel better when I'm a bit down. The guests are very colourful and while I don't know many of them, I enjoy listening to their fashion styles and picks.

Listen | here
Length | 30 min
Frequency | weekly
My favourite episodes | With Jameela Jamil | With Gizzi Erskine
Funny fact: Dawn actually interviewed Dawn French!

mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iPhone 5, Women of the Hour with Lena Dunham podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen

Women of the Hour with Lena Dunham


Podcasting seems to be the new blogging (let's not kid ourselves: blogging is almost dead) because now, everyone's doing it. Even, Voice of a Generation, Lena Dunham has a podcast and she's back for a second season! I missed the first one but have been listening to a few episodes that seemed interesting. The podcast in itself is very well made, it's a pleasure for the ears. Lena also has a very nice line-up including a few of her friends from Girls. She also includes anonymous who talk about the various topics discussed including body image, the nature of friendship, what it means to be trapped, the US election, love, work and more. 

Listen | here
Length | 45 min to 1 hour
Frequency | weekly
My favourite episodes | Body | Trapped | Election Special | Work

mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iphone 5, Ctrl alt delete with Emma Gannon podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen

Ctrl Alt Delete with Emma Gannon


I'm totally new to the world of Emma Gannon and apparently subscribed because it was recommended to me by an algorithm. Anyhow, I'm hooked. After having written about how she grew up online, Emma started a podcast to learn how the internet and social media have changed our lives. Her guests are numerous and together they converse about friendship, feminism, #girlbosses, life, blogging, youtube, writing books and so much more. I really enjoy this podcast because I love to learn more about the women I admire and discover many brilliant ladies whom I never heard of before. Her interviews with Mara Wilson, Laura Bates or Zoella, for example, were very inspiring and packed with a lot wisdom. Obviously, I love that she interviewed Tanya Burr...

Listen | here
Length | 1 hour
Frequency | weekly

My favourite episodes | With Tanya Burr | Interviewed by Cherry Healey | With Mara Wilson | With Lisa Owens With Zoella | With Dawn O'Porter | With Laura Bates | With Lucy Sheridan and Jo Westwood and many more women I enjoyed listening to, there are quite a few!

mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iphone 5, Young House Love has a podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen
Young House Love has a podcast


As I've said, podcasting is the new blogging, especially for Sherry and John Petersik. Read how I used to be obsessed with their DIY and home decor blog here 5 blogs I read everyday>> Taking their love for DIY, design and decorating to this format, John and Sherry converse about what's new in their life and what they're digging. They call designers, bloggers, TV personalities or answer listeners' questions about home stuff. They even have a regular quizz game. When they do something, they do it well and so, it's a real pleasure to listen to them as each episode is technically top-notch. I love that they're back and I really enjoy their deep and not-so-deep podcast. 


mulberry bayswater handbag, clinique nude pop lipstick, iphone 5, Cherry Healey's Letters to my fanny podcast, apple earphones, fossil purse, blue ink ball pen

Cherry Healey: Letters to my fanny


I've reviewed Cherry Healey's book on the blog last month so go check it out if you want to know more about those famous letters Book review: Cherry Healey's Letters to my Fanny>> Cherry interviews inspiring women and shares a bit of herself too on various subjects like how to do this life thing better, managing our money better, the battle of child versus iPad or the very important question "should we clean eat?" As with the Emma Gannon podcast, I feel very inspired by the guests interviewed on this one and listen religiously to every new episode.

Listen | here
Length | 30 min to 1 hour and a half
Frequency | weekly-ish
My favourite episodes | With Stacey Dooley | Sheerluxe | The Supercharged Club | The Midult

What do you listen to?


If you enjoyed this post, you might like: My favourite podcasts - 2014
Follow

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Copyright © Ravacholle
Design by Fearne